Saturday, June 25, 2011

How Do You Describe Infinity?

“Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

When Jesus talked about the joy set before Him, what did he mean?  Was he talking about the joy of serving people?  Or the joy that would come from his Father giving him everything for the sacrifice which he was to accomplish on the cross?  Or was it something else? 

Who was this Jesus guy?  And why did he love death?  How is it that someone could be so involved in their death, making reference to it multiple times while he was on earth, when everyone else on that planet was so concerned with how they would live?  Who are you LORD?  Who are you?

Jesus knew from the very beginning that his life was forfeit—but forfeit for whom?  Us?  Were humans so important that Jesus willingly gave up his life so that we might be saved?

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son.”

Are we so important?  But if we are that important, and God is in it to save everyone, and he holds everything within His power, then how come everyone is not saved?  There must be something more.  Is it possible that we are not important, but that we are loved?  Is it possible that all our work and striving on this earth will eventually be nothing but a memory in a history book, even if we are really good at working and striving?  But we are loved.

What if we are not important?  Did Jesus come to die, or to live?  And which is more important, and why is this so imperative for someone who follows Christ to understand?

I am a man.  Barely, but I am.  I can do things.  I can win.  All I need is an unbeatable strategy, and suddenly I can become the greatest person to ever live.  Is that the message of the Bible?  Did God put down thousands of years of history so that I could claim a great victory through my own well thought out plans?  Am I such a fool?  Unfortunately so.

God did not send his Son because of our inherent value.  Jesus did not live to show us “the way to live,” but considered his life forfeit for the sake of his Father, whom he loved. 

Jesus died.

And he did so with great joy and purpose because he loved his Dad, and his Dad loved us.  GOD (the Father, Son, and Spirit) loved His kids so much that they sent one of their own to sacrifice something that humanity can still “only see in a mirror dimly,” so that one day it might be “face to face.” 

“He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he now also, along with him, graciously give us all things?”

God did not come so that we would be able to deal with our problems, as though they were so important.  Nor did he come so that we might be able to work well and live.  He came so that we might have life, and have it abundantly.  And the abundant life is so much more than dealing with our petty difficulties.  God is so infinite, and we so finite, that it must be frustrating to offer us everything, only to have us scorn the gift because we think that what we see is more attainable.

My goal is always Christ.  An infinite, universe-creating, universe-destroying Christ.  An intimate, soul crushing, fire wielding, storm controlling God.  I cannot be shaken in Him.  I cannot be frustrated, or disappointed, or dismayed, or proud, or lost in Him, for he is the author of everything.  It started with Him and it will end in Him. 

God my prayer is always that my eyes are so fixed on you that everything else seems pointless in contrast.  I have bought the field, and sold everything else.  

2 comments:

  1. Your questions are intriguing because they describe as the "screwed up human christian Complex" hehe. I know that many times in contemporary christianity we encounter the phrases like "God is Good", "I am not wanting" or a numerous other phrases that more often describe what we should believe but have yet to. .. I am wanting, I often dont see Gods actions as Good, and I especially dont see the spirit working in a way that makes sense. .. I guess that's where we come to faith

    God is good even if i do not yet see it
    The spirit works in Gods will even if it doesn't make sense

    Frankly I dont get Gods love, completely at least.. otherwise I wouldn't act the way I do, lack boldness when speaking on the truths I know etc.

    But like you pray to always fix our eyes on Christ we begin to see truth, we begin to work through problems of faith and trust.

    eh like always I'm probably a bit of topic. - Luke B

    ReplyDelete